Thanks to Maurice Dodd for this information on St. Moling’s Well.
St Moling’s well is situated in the north west corner of what is now a golf course on the Powerscourt Estate, at Kilmolin, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow. The townland of Kilmolin is named after the well. With the building of the golf course, the well opening had to be covered, and presently all that can be seen is a flat granite slab, but locals remember the well being open.
In the early nineteenth century the then Viscount had the idea of bringing the water from the well to the house as it was found to be very pure. However about half way to the house the water sank into the ground having hit a gravel bank, the Viscount then decided to pipe the water from the well. This feature can be seen on the 1840 OSI map.
The saint who the well is dedicated to is Saint Moling, born in Kerry in 614, he was a monk in Glendalough and went on to be the second bishop of Ferns. He then established a monastery [St Mullins] in Carlow where he is renowned for cutting by hand a mile long mill race to service his community. Other areas named for St Moling are Mullinakill in Co Kilkenny, Timolin in Co Kildare and Monamolin in Co Wexford. St Moling died in 696 and his feast day is in June.
Thank you to Don Clarke of Powerscourt. Patsy Byrne of Kilmolin and www.irishcatholicsaints.com