Some relevant things of note from the world of history from the last month:
- The National Archives of Ireland is redesigning its website, including a new improved search function.
- The National Library of Ireland continues its daily upload of pictures from its archives onto Flickr. Here is a nice one taken from the terraces at Powerscourt. There is also a lovely set on Working Life in Ireland.
- Irish Military Archives maps, plans and drawing are moving online, first phase now available. (Glencree pre-dates them though!)
- The British Newspaper Archive goes online, although it is a subscription service (you can search for free and see the tanatalising results!)
- The Open University and PRONI are showing weekly lectures on YouTube on the topic of Exploring Local History. While I think something happened with Week 3, Week 4 should be available soon. Week 2, Poverty, had a lot of detail about Workhouses.
- Land, Popular Politics and Agrarian Violence in Ireland, by Donncha Sean Lucey is just published. While it is based in Kerry, there’s no doubt that it would be a useful resource for considering similar themes in the context of Wicklow.
On this website:
- Two articles this month: one on some names associated with the rebuilding of Powerscourt Arms in 1894 (and see comments for more details), and one on the churchyard next to Powerscourt.
- Some interesting details posted on Killegar Church in the comments to that article.
- More information on Businesses in the Village: Mrs Stuart ran the AIB
- Request for help on the discussion board from someone in Canada who thinks that they may have an Enniskerry link
- We’re looking for submissions on people’s memories of Enniskerry history for the second issue of the Journal.
- February’s talk for Enniskerry Historical Society is The 18th Century Headstones of Wicklow Graveyards, by Christiaan Cortlett.
- I list any talks I see of interest on the website calendar on the homepage. If you use Google Calendar, you can add this calendar to it.
Have you any other interesting bits of information from the last while?